Monday, March 21, 2016

I won't say any Hail Marys but I'll drink many glasses of sacramental wine

Forgive me readers for I have sinned. It's been 20 days since my last confession, er I mean post. I should have done better I know. There is no penance that can make reparation for this. And who are we kidding? I wouldn't perform that attrition any more than you'd expect me to. We both know me too well to expect that. So let me just summarize the salient events since you last saw me breach the surface of the blogsphere. 

Whence I last corresponded I was in the last week of prepping for the movers, but most of the heavy lifting was done and I was mostly enjoying some moments of newly found freedom and mulling over the relative nature of perceptions of time passage. Well, the big move day came and was largely uneventful except for regular rain as the movers were loading up the trucks. The move team was pretty diligent. But their incredible pace left me terrified for the welfare of our belongings. Still we hit the road by early afternoon leaving only a houseful of dust bunnies and some cleaning supplies behind, and arrived in Napa by mid-afternoon, where the moody rain of the south bay gave way to a welcoming view of broken clouds with blue sky and sunshine. 


Since then we've spent our time alternating between setting up a minimalist slice of our life in our 2 bedroom apartment and resolving the bureaucratic minutiae of escrow to complete the sale of our house. As of today, exactly 2 weeks after we first arrived in Napa, both those activities are complete. Those 2 weeks might as well have been 2 months. We measure time from sunrise to sunset and could replace our calendar with hash marks on the wall to count those days. In between the seemingly endless realizations of "Oops, we forgot we need to do X" as far as the mechanics of our relocation, we've tried with some growing success to create a new routine of life. This routine isn't particularly structured, nor the effort behind the creation too heroic. But the attempt feels like progress, and for the moment I'll take that at face value.

3 comments:

kurykury said...

Did you have to get rid of a lot of stuff moving from a house into an apartment? I sold tons of crap and then had to give away a lot as well. It's amazing how much stuff one can accumulate in the garage.

kurykury said...

Haha just realized that I'm writing from my wife's account that she created to document our baby's adventures. 'kurykury' was the first word our baby boy said :).

Jim Napa said...

We had been minimizing our material possessions footprint for a few months before we moved. I did some selling before moving but not a egregious amount of stuff. And due to my obsessive organizational tendencies my garage already looked better than the living rooms of some folks. :-) But I certainly concur with how easy it is to accumulate. That phenomenon may be the most concrete real life manifestation of entropy. Even though my wife and I have agreed to cap our accumulation of possessions, I am sure that if we were to manage to buy a 4000 sq ft home, that without even being conscious of it we'd fill that space.