Monday, November 20, 2006

Who dunnit?

A friend reminded me today that this week on Nov. 22 is the anniversary of JFK's assassination. I don't know why since I've never noted this date with much emotion previously, but his mention of it made me sad. I have to believe it's tied to my view of the current state of the presidency and this country's political landscape. It's accepted that the glasses that we looked through to view the US were rosier back then. And perhaps the image we believed we saw then was in fact more vignette than reality. The view has certainly gotten greasy over the years. I guess the main difference is hope. That word has an almost quaint ring to it in today's world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

or dope, not hope. dope.

Bea said...

I remember watching two funerals on our simple black and white tv in 1963. First was Pope John XXIII and then JFK later in the year. We lived in South Philly. I was a 7 year old child. I know that I felt sad about the whole thing but was too young to really understand why. Everyone cried when each of these men passed on. I have a vivid memory, though, of being in my grandmother's home, with the ceremony for JFK on and three or four women including my mom and grandmother kept busy canning tomatoes while the commentary, drumbeats and gun salutes served as background noise. Sadness hung in the air and the nation mourned...